Sunday, January 3, 2016

Dear Twenty-Fifteen


Dear 2015,

Well, you almost did it. You almost broke me. You threw everything you had at me: my cat's death, a year-long depression, an overnight evaluation in a psych ward, my parents' separation... and the eventual culmination of depression, stress, and anxiety, that I had to leave school.

I didn't think I would make it. I really, really didn't. For almost all of October, I woke up, disbelieving that I could go even one more day.

You gave me way more than I could handle. And honestly, I kind of hate you for that.

But somehow, I made it through.

I'm still broken and mourning the loss of my parents' marriage and childhood home. I'm still feeling like I was run over by a truck. I still feel tired, exhausted, and sometimes hopeless.

But I did it. I'm alive.

And it's because of you, 2015, that once again, I am hopeful.

I am hopeful for this year, that I will be able to go back to finish my final semester. That I will find peace. That I will be able to find joy in my current (and to be frank, crappy) circumstances. That I will continue incredible friendships and create new ones. That I will be one step closer to the Katie I was born to me.

So, here's to you 2015. In one way... don't let the door hit you on the way out, in another... thank you for reminding me that for the past twenty two years, I have survived.

Love,
Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be kind! If it's not kind or charitable, it will be deleted.