Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Miracles over Magic.



Three years ago, the summer after I graduated from high school, I made a mistake. I saw a movie that deep down, I knew I shouldn't, and I enjoyed it, even though part of me knew once again, I shouldn't.

The movie?

Magic Mike.

And now that the sequel is about to come out, I feel the need to speak out against the movie.

As soon as the credits rolled, I had this feeling of discomfort and guilt. But on social media and with my friends? I could have been paid as a promoter for the film.

"I loved it. It was so good. It's just a movie. I want to watch it over and over again. I'm totally watching this for my bachelorette party. No, it's not the same as going to an actual strip bar. They're just so hot! Of course I have a clear conscience! It's not a sin."

I was a good person, a good Catholic. I went to mass (and youth group!) every Sunday, was a youth leader in my youth group, going to a Catholic college that fall, and was even going on a Steubenville Youth Conference that summer.

What was the big deal?

It wasn't until a friend confronted me that I was able to see the harm it was doing. I'll never forget her words.

"Would it upset you to know that your future husband thought it was okay to watch stripper movies? To lust over these women he didn't know? Would you be okay with him defending his decisions the same way you are?"


And I realized... I wouldn't be okay.

Even though it was still "just a movie", I was still lusting over the actors like they were meat, not human beings.  

Ladies, we are made for more. More than the empty promises of Channing Tatum's abs. More than the lies of ripping off clothes and pulling of girls onto laps. More than the "magic" we see performed.

We're made for miracles. Besides the fact that our existence in itself is a miracle, we were shown love with the greatest miracle of all: the resurrection

Christ fought for us tooth and nail, because that is what we are worth. We are worth blood, and sweat, tears, death. And Magic Mike shows a man who, sure, will sweat for you, but only because your cheers and dollar bills are keeping him going.

You, me, all of us, we're made for so much more than the world has to offer. And it gets hard, believe me, I know. But I hope you'll join me in taking this small step of boycotting Magic Mike XXL as a way of stating "I am worth more". Because you are. You really, really, are.




like Cloudy with a Chance of Catholic on Facebook 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be kind! If it's not kind or charitable, it will be deleted.