Friday, March 4, 2016

Who, Me? - Lenten Reflection for the Third Friday of Lent



"The second is this: 'Love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these.'" Mark 12:31

 In today's gospel, Jesus reiterates the two most important commandments: to love God above all, and to love your neighbor as yourself. Growing up, the second great commandment was taught to me by many people: my parents, teachers, priest, and family members. But it wasn't until recently that I really heard what Jesus was saying.

"Love your neighbor as yourself." It seems simple: love your neighbor, be good to them, etc. But do you really love your neighbor as yourself? I know I fail often. I tend to compare myself with my neighbors and put them on a pedestal. I see their beauty, their talents, and their goodness. And then there's me... broken, clumsy, and not good enough.

When Jesus tells us to love our neighbor as ourselves, He's not only telling us to love others, but to love ourselves, too. As humans, it's hard to love perfectly. Our love is disproportionate and sometimes we get frustrated with ourselves because of this fact. But Jesus... He is God, and He is perfect, beautiful Love. When you look at yourself in the mirror, look through the lens of Christ. Everything that you criticize about yourself, Jesus sees, and He delights in you despite  what you perceive. Will you too, delight in your beauty and worth despite your flaws?

Lord Jesus, You saw our imperfections as You were dying on the cross, and You deemed us worthy of Your love and suffering. Help us to see ourselves and our neighbor as You see us: beloved. Amen.
Hos 14:2-10
Ps 81:6c-8a, 8bc-9, 10-11ab, 14 and 17
Mk 12:28-34

---

Originally posted here as a part of Mount St. Mary's University's Lenten Reflections.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be kind! If it's not kind or charitable, it will be deleted.