Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Let Sin Go.

[caption id="" align="alignleft" width="275"]Image Wanna feel this free? Try the sacrament of Reconciliation![/caption]

On Sunday, I hiked up a mountain to mass at the shrine on campus. I sat alone and asked God to keep me focused on what was important and to reveal Himself to me. When it came time for the homily, the priest spent his time talking about the beautiful sacrament of Reconciliation. At one point, he said something along the lines of:
"People might want you to conceal your sin, to hide it. But God wants you to be honest and open, to come to Him with your sin."

At that moment, the following lyrics from Disney's new movie Frozen started repeating themselves in my head:
"Conceal, don't feel, don't let them know. Well, now they know! Let it go! Let it go! Can't hold it back anymore... And I don't care what they're going to say."

For a three letter word, sin sure is intimidating. It can make us lie, cower, and be ashamed. I can only speak for myself, in reality, but I've definitely lied and been ashamed because of sin.

We don't HAVE to be afraid! God has power over sin, and as long as He is on our side, we have power, as well! Don't conceal your sin. Come clean. Be honest. Stop holding on to it. God wants us to let go of the pain, the shame that is caused by sin. He wants to set us free.

Let God set you free. Take a deep breath and step out into the unknown: go to confession.

Besides, the cold never bothered us anyway.

2 comments:

Please be kind! If it's not kind or charitable, it will be deleted.