Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Drop Dead Diva touched me in a way that TV isn't really supposed to.

The other night, I randomly decided to watch a new show on Netflix. Drop Dead Diva had been recommended for me for a while, so I decided to give it a try, pretty convinced I'd watch one episode and move on.

I was wrong. I've been watching it everyday since that night, amazed at how funny, heartwarming, and relatable it is. For those who don't know, it's about an aspiring model, Deb, who dies in an accident, and while in "limbo" hits the "return button", and comes back to life in the body of a plus sized lawyer. Deb always looked down on plus sized women, and thought of them as beneath her, but after becoming one herself, she realizes just how untrue that is. She realizes how awful it feels to be looked at as someone simply overweight, and how people think you're lazy, and just not trying hard enough.

I've been overweight my whole life, and I've gotten my fair share of cruel remarks about it. I've been asked if I'm pregnant, told no one will ever want to be friends with or date me, and called a beached whale. I have to sit on the edge of the row of desks in class, because it's such a hassle for me to try to squeeze in between the seats. Sometimes, my belly doesn't even fit in the desk. I've heard people attempt to stifle their giggles as I try to squeeze myself in places. They usually fail, and I try not to cry in front of them.

Last year, I gained a good amount of weight because of stress right before I went to college. Soon after that, I stopped getting my period and didn't get it for a year. I didn't think much of it until the end of last semester. My period was always so regular, and then all of the sudden, it wasn't. I was afraid to go to the doctor, because I didn't want to be told it was because I was fat, or that something was wrong with me, so I joined a gym and began working out every day.

I lost 15 pounds and gained a good amount of muscle over the summer, and I'm so proud of how far I've come. I fit in my clothes better, I have more self-esteem, energy, and endurance. This month, my period came back. I don't think I've ever been that happy about my monthly visitor.

Drop Dead Diva is an amazing social commentary. It shows how much there is to someone, whether they're skinny, overweight, black, white, whatever, and how easy it is for someone to just look at the surface. You never know what someone's going through.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be kind! If it's not kind or charitable, it will be deleted.